Saturday, January 7, 2012

Us to You...

Dear Beau,
I can't believe it's been 5 months. FIVE MONTHS! While I feel that you being here has gone by so quickly, a part of me feels as if my pregnancy was a lifetime ago...because it was. Getting pregnant and going through 39 weeks with you in my belly, my mind was in a completely different place than it was the second you came into this world. I've been wanting to start something that you can look back on and read about our amazing journey with you.

You have become the light of our lives. We don't know what life is like without you anymore. You have brought us closer together and have added so much joy into our hearts.

Here is your story of US to You :)

On August 3rd, we were coming up to 39 weeks. As you know, Texas has some hot summers and being as big as I was, I was beyond uncomfortable. I couldn't stop saying "I just want him out already!!" and while everyone was telling me that I had to wait, I felt that I couldn't go another minute! Every small pain or braxton hicks contraction I would get, I would quickly assume I was in labor. Your dad got a little too used to me saying "IT'S TIME!"--you did NOT want to come out!!

To top it all off, we were getting ready for a move. Your dad and I decided we wanted to be closer to family (especially since I was getting ready to go back to school for my master's) so we made the bold (and now I see, impulsive) decision to buy a house and start our family in The Woodlands/ Conroe area.

So there I was, going to my 39 week appointment. In pain, constant sweat, and trying my darnedest not to have a sour attitude or at least not show it on my face.  Our house in Austin was a wreck. Boxes everywhere, and of course not much done considering all I wanted to do was eat pancakes and sleep all day long. Mmm those daily pancakes were soo good!

Dr. Cherry: "How are we doing today?"
Me: "I'm fine, can we please take him out??"
Dr. Cherry: "Actually, I feel comfortable doing that at 39 weeks and you're dilated 1.5 cm so we can do it...how would you like to come into the hospital tonight at 10 and we'll get this baby on his way out?"

Biggest shock ever. I was not expecting going to my weekly routine checkup to hear that you were going to be coming in the next 24 hours!!! Excitement rushed through me for about 1 second and then panic rushed quicker! I was about to become a mom! I had to quickly get home and get everything ready!! With all the chaos of the house and move, we didn't have a crib, a rocker, an infant seat...NOTHING except a pack-and-play, a car seat, and a changing table. We were preparing to move only 3 weeks after you were born so we just wanted the necessities.

I called your dad immediately. He seemed to be in more shock than me. I asked the doctor what I needed to do to prepare and she said to just get my hospital bag ready and relax. YEA RIGHT. How am I supposed to relax knowing you're coming!? But somehow I actually did. Since I thought you were coming everyday, my hospital bag was already waiting by the door. Aunt Brookie was staying with us and she was so excited to hear that tonight was the big night. For celebration I made a pork tenderloin (us Italians believe pork is good luck) as our last meal pre-baby. This moment was the last moment before our entire life changes. It was still.

Heading out the door to the hospital!

After getting to the hospital at 10..paper work..yadda yadda..getting a bed at midnight..blah blah..we quickly found out that I was ACTUALLY IN REAL LABOR without having to be induced (even though they ended up helping me a little bit anyway) and then 12 oh so glorious hours later...you were out with the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard, your cry.
I don't think it's as beautiful now but still remember the moment you came out and the tears of joy overwhelming your dad and I.

Love you always,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment